Explore UAB

The J-1 visa/immigration status is appropriate for a specifically-defined research or training opportunity sponsored by a specific UAB department at a specific site for a specific period of time and does not allow employment, research, or training beyond that defined in your offer/invitation letter from UAB. Please note that the Department of State describes the minimum qualifications for a Research Scholar as follows: "Minimum qualifications for this category are a bachelor’s degree with appropriate experience in the field of which research is to be conducted" [9 FAM 402.5-6(E)(8)]. The same is expected for Short-Term Scholars and Professors. A master’s or terminal degree in your field is strongly preferred at UAB.


Back to Top